The kitchen is an important part of the house. The kitchen is where the creative prowess of preparing mouthwatering and tongue licking dishes is been carried out.
It is not enough to be a creative cook and knowing all the secret recipes. Kitchen equipment and tools play a vital role in the outcome of any dish prepared.
Having the right kitchen equipment and knowing how to make use of them do not only make the cooking process easier but also faster and accurate.
There are hundreds of kitchen equipment and tools. The common ones are – pots, frying pan, spoons, measuring cups, knife, serving dishes, tin cutter, grater, sieves, blender, and toaster.
Others are speed mixer, bread maker, ice cream maker, juice extractor, pounding machine, macro wave oven, food mixer among others.
Some large kitchen equipment includes slicer, boiler, refrigerator, deep freezer, salamander grill, gas cooker, bain-mane etc.
Knife is an important tool in the kitchen. Knife is use for cutting, chopping, slicing and carving. It is used on and during nearly all food preparation process.
There are different kinds of knife. They come in different shapes, sizes and length. The use for these knives also varies.
Here is a quick guide on purchasing knives and understanding it use:
- Butcherknife – commonly used in butchery; to saw through meat bones.
- Turning knife – used for shaping vegetables in various ways.
- Bread knife – for cutting and slicing bread; for trimming bread edges.
- Filleting knife – used for filleting fish.
- Boning knife – for boning meat; to cut away the meat from the bone.
- Chopping knife – for varieties of tasks in the kitchen such as chopping, cutting, slicing, shredding of vegetable, meat, fruits etc.
- Paring knife (fruit knife) – for topping and tailing vegetables and peeling fruits and vegetables.
- Carving knife – for carving and supporting meat and also for luffing the meat once carved.
- Palette knife – for lifting and turning, scraping and spreading.